Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lobbyist Contributions


The very premise, that our (the US) politicians should be approachable by all, is one that benefit's the individual in a society. But somewhere along the way, this noble idea has been convoluted into a serious crime. One that makes impotent your vote and our way of life. So then how did this happen?

In our democracy, we are ensured that we can approach our legislators and our executive branch. That way the little guy could get his voice heard as well as the bigger interests. But at some point lobbying was handed over to the large corporations, and although all of our politicians insist that the money that these people keep shoveling forth is insignificant, they nonetheless continue to remain "on the take". Lobbying is a form of bribery - how can it NOT be? Today, large corporate and private interests pay small fortunes to congressmen and women who claim that the money doesn't influence them, and then they become the puppets of the interests behind the lobbyists. And our executive branch is likewise corrupted. Finance reform laws, written by those for whom it was supposed to control, is predictably ineffective and easily sidestepped – even a child could understand the mechanisms used to circumvent these laws.

These criminals on the take are our elected officials, meaning that your vote has just been purchased away from you. One of the few things that the small guy had to help level the playing field, that one thing that we all had in common, is now meaningless and of no effect. You can elect anyone who'll say anything, but they're all there to get a piece of the action. Why won't the legislators ban lobbyist contributions altogether, restoring power to my vote? It's asking them to put on a collar of their own construction – they'll never do an effective job of it, as we've seen from past "attempts". And the executive branch, also on the take, would be required to sign this into law. If it attempted to control them, it would never be signed.

Through legislative slight-of-hand with the American people, these crooks have engineered a money machine that siphons off the bounty of our nation, along with your freedom of choice, for their own greedy oligarchy and leaves our country in shambles. So how do we solve this dilemma? As of this time, I'm uncertain. No one would write such self-imposing legislation, and no executive member would give it the time of day. If you had the law, no lawmaker or executive member would turn away from crushing it. Jefferson thought that occasional rebellion was appropriate; is that our only alternative? Is there no other way?

John


9 comments:

  1. There's only one thing I could add to this -- the rate at which those politicians who are not influenced by lobbyists retire to become -- lobbyists! Often for the same companies they pretended to give no preference to. I know a law was made to change this, but it's pretty weak.
    I see no hope for changing the system, money has become one of the most important factors in elections. The whole mess just serves for me as a reminder to watch what's happening in
    DC, because everything eventually becomes corrupted. And I'm an optimist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri K:

    Indeed; I was uncertain how to frame the concept (writing is probably my weakest subject), but being given cushy jobs after performing well on the "stage" is a difficult matter to legislate around, as well. And clearly this is a component of the same overall condition.

    I too hold out hope for our country, but feel concerned at the level of therapy that may be required in order to correct some of the conditions that have been contracted. It seems almost like a financial cancer, where the treatment may be as toxic as the condition. I hold out hope, but the future appears perilous all the same. Be well, and as always, thanks for the input. It's always a pleasure.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I think of myself as a realistic optimist, but I, too, am having trouble holding out real hope for our country. I believe people are stronger, better and smarter than they often appear. It's in contrast to my belief in the basic sin nature in all men, but they aren't contradictory. The trouble is, I think we are the proverbial frog being slowly boiled to death. The last of my strong hope died when the concept of imminent domain as a last resort in truly important cases was thrown out. We want more tax money. We don't want to pay more tax money, so we''ll take your land and build a mall to get more money. No problem. I could go ballistic on this issue, but I"ll spare you.
    The hope I do see is in truly intelligent, caring young people. There are some out there.
    On another note, I started a new thread in the forum coffee shop. I asked for suggestions from people for unusual blogs they follow. I mentioned yours -

    "A New Beginning at http://anewbeginning-mindmatter.blogspot.com/. The word is slowly getting around about this blog. It covers two topics, politics and metaphysics. Personally I prefer the metaphysics, finding intelligent discussions about politics just too depressing. The wonderful thing about this blog is that the man is very intelligent, but talks on everyone's level. He loves discussion and civil debate, but isn't some snobbish pseudo-intellectual. He's nice, he's interesting, he's real. Check him out."

    Be well, Do good work, Keep in touch.
    (Yeah, I stole it. So what.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri K:

    Wow! My first review! And it was nice... Thank you! I'm flattered.

    My HOPE for humanity is high, but my FAITH is not, therefor I worry much and make great efforts to change the mistakes. Man is easily persuaded. But most often for wrong, I'm afraid. It's not that man would automatically choose wrong; it's that he's not often given right choices to make, or he's deceived about the choices. I see well-meaning Americans doing terrible things today; I cannot judge them, but I hope to enlighten them.

    I'm a fairly liberal kinda guy, with some strange conservative undercurrents. But today at the store, a butcher came up to me and started spouting terrible things about our president. I sized him up, and by his age and other factors concluded that he was a WW II veteran. Instead of having an ugly debate, and causing a scene, I simply said that it was more important to me to get every man and woman back safely that to debate things as relatively unimportant as money. He agreed, and we went our separate ways, without a fight.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I agree that corporate lobbying is a pervasive menace to democracy in Washington, I hope that democratizing trends, such as the surge in town halls, increased social networking, and faster communication can help to reduce the power of people who buy up our Congressmen like the shares of stock they revel in. We're partly responsible, though, for not participating as much in the past and allowing lobbyists to fill the void- that should hopefully change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dannyd:

    First, thanks for reading and commenting. I agree; I saw a woman on the news the other day, at a town hall meeting, talking about the awakening of a sleeping giant. My questions to her would be: why were you asleep, and why are you angry that things aren't the way you want them when all you've been doing is sleeping? We reap what we sow...

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true indeed. And speaking of town hall meetings, I commented on my "Signifying Nothing" blog about the accusation of "astroturfing" thrown out by several politicians against their opponents' town hall meetings as "not genuine." That post is here:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/2009/08/signoth-current-events-report-issue-1.html

    Also, I am volunteering for a campaign, and so I will be commenting more in-depth on political participation by citizens vis-a-vis campaign contributions (which I will help out with). Read more about the campaign here:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/2009/08/signoth-announcement_7198.html

    And finally, please read this short story. I would love to hear your comments on it, as you have very strong and well-thought-out opinions:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/2009/08/signoth-short-story-1-google-yahoo_11.html

    And, if you could follow and/or subscribe to my blog, that would be great. :D

    The blog's main site is here:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey mindmatter, did you accidentally follow my blog twice lol?

    ReplyDelete
  9. danny, found your blog off of johnzthought, glad to find you. your commenys are very to the point of the heart of the matter. lobby groups are going to hate you and we are going to love you, they are a scourge, we had a poloitician jefferson here in louisiana that was found wih 10,000$$$$ cold cash found in his freezer from lobyist, no pun intended. mr bob

    ReplyDelete