Sunday, August 30, 2009

Trust

"We lie to each other so much, that there's nothin' left that we trust."

The words of Megadeth. I've been away from my blogging lately, instead engaging in political debate on a number of different Facebook pages (no endorsement intended). But recently, my blogging muse has returned to me. Perhaps these deviations are what recharges my batteries; who knows. For those who are tired of the doom and gloom of modern political debate, this is NOT for you – this will be a discourse on some of our modern problems, and will not be of a cheerful or hopeful nature. But to the rest of you, I hope this is an eye opener – my ultimate purpose in life.

We talk about whether or not we can trust our government to manage our healthcare. And everybody's become so polarized over this issue. But so often, we look at one side of the coin, ignoring the rest (there are at least to sides, plus an edge). I want to increase the level of disclosure here, thus encouraging you to think more deeply regarding these matters. That way, by virtue of our collective intelligence, we can arrive at the best possible solution(s). Ready?

First: the US government. While we'd all like to think that we can trust in our government, reality slaps us hard in the face when it comes to examining this as to whether or not it's actually the case. We need look no farther than recent history – Japanese internment camps incarcerating tax-paying citizens simply because of their genetic make-up, Katrina victims being refused the service we, as Americans, have been contributing money towards for decades in case of an emergency, killing Americans to get back the FEMA trailers they were living in, fleets of jets for congress to fly to the Bahamas to study global warming while snorkeling off the coast, and on and on. When I approached Social Security for medical help when every other form of insurance I'd paid for turned their back on me, they fought me tooth and nail for over three years, rather than provide the help I was entitled to, because I paid for it ahead of time. Your trust is ill-served with your government.

Second: your health insurance. There are far too many stories out there regarding this atrocity; surely, you know of someone injured or killed by denial of service. If you don't, consider yourself lucky, with the foreknowledge that it's only a matter of time before this will impact you. As long as the law requires that paying investors takes priority over providing what you paid for, this system will continue be a death machine. Your trust is in poor company with these companies.

Third: yourself. Yes, you can keep your money in your mattress (don't laugh – it may be safer than many "financial institutions" these days), stashing away a nest egg for that day that you're injured and unable to work. Have you seen the price of medical treatment these days? Good luck with that one. Additionally, this would of course lead to economic genocide, where only the most affluent will live to continue the species. But the argument that insurance is a bad deal; that you're hoping for a disaster in order to recoup your pay-out, is valid. Your trust in yourself is valid, but will be insufficient when that day comes (God help you; may you never need this option).

When someone tells you that they have no trust in one institution or another, be aware of these considerations – they are most likely correct in their warning to you. But as of yet, I've heard no good option to the standard data set – where is there a good option? I do not claim to have the answers, but know that if I help you to see the problems clearly, that a solution may be achieved. I may or may not produce the answer, which is irrelevant. All that IS relevant is that an answer be arrived at, and that those who produce the solution be as informed as possible. Trusting in something unworthy of your trust is a dangerous thing.

15 comments:

  1. Even though that quote that you stated above is true, I would like to point out a flaw in the argument that you can't trust the government in many things.

    In your statement, you seem to take government as one continuous whole, not as a politically-controlled institution. This means that what government does depends on who is in power at the time. For instance, I think that Barack Obama and his team to come up with a good healthcare deal, where I don't think the Bush administration handled the War on Terror correctly (examples: torture, Iraq, "Coalition of the Willing"). You also need to remember that government is an institution run by people, and unfortunately, people are imperfect. People can be evil, selfish, base, and irrational- yet we need to keep in mind that people can also be good, giving, open-minded, and rational.

    What I am saying is that we need to trust the right kind of people in power to handle the institution correctly; if we don't, it would be like the craftsman blaming his tools. And I putting my faith behind Obama to be the right tool for the job. Of course, we can't be OVERLY trusting, and should of course be skeptical, but we need to keep some kind of hope.

    Lastly, I want to say that this post has been eye-opening and thought-provoking for me, and I agree with your stance on the HMOs- they have a poor record of being trusted with health insurance.

    Hope that you can read my latest blog post, which is the continuing saga of the Google-Yahoo Merger. I think you will enjoy it:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/2009/08/signnoth-story-1-google-yahoo-merger.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. dannyd: Good to hear from you (as always). I hope to catch up on some reading; as I said before, I got caught up into some things on some political chat boards. The level of conduct, the name-calling, the irrational assumptions needed some clearing up and some guidance in how one handle's one's self in a discussion, and how you prove a statement to be the truth. Manners and etiquette are still the order of the day, and proofs are proofs - sight your sources, etc. I myself suffer from severe type 2 bipolar, with some real anger management problems in the past. Today, I show others by example how to conduct themselves in a more reasonable manner. You get more accomplished that way, and everyone feels that their voice is heard, and that they are taken seriously.

    I voted for Obama. I want to think that we will finally see some positive change in our country as a result of that decision. He "said all the right things". He would not have been my first choice, but that's another matter. What matters is that he's my president, and I should be behind the people's vote, as I was with Bush. I didn't like the man, but he was who we chose. But Obama withstanding, their is little else to support a non-corrupt system. Too often, it is irrelevant who you choose - congress is controlled by bribery, making our vote effectively impotent. America's history of corruption is virtually uninterrupted. All we can do is change the future, but we are fighting Goliaths with many inroads.

    I was concerned that this may seem melancholy and pessimistic. I retain hope for America and it's people. I am hopeful of change, and for the better. I advise that we remain watchful. Be well, and I'm headed to your post right now.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there is the fact that our republic has endured with the same Constitution for 300 years, making us one of the oldest continuous countries in the world in terms of political system. And the fact that we have greater freedom than most other countries do, and that many people dream of their whole lives. Unfortunately, it is true that the bureaucracy is often corrupt and slow, but hopefully that will change.

    Also, I have replied to your thoughtful and insightful comment on my "Google-Yahoo Merger" story, and I hope that you can see the post that I will make today, since I will be taking a much-needed rest from the Internet on Tuesday.

    Also, "sight your sources" lol! Isn't it "cite your sources"? Just teasing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops!! Yes; spell checks don't check for homonyms! hahahaha! I'll pop by your site later - thanks dannyd...

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the link to my new post:

    http://dannysignifyingnothing.blogspot.com/2009/08/turning-off-sound-and-fury.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. trust in ole bob, sorry been missin my bloggers, don't trust these damn cable companies to keep you on line neither

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the exchange here. Mindmatter, good to see you back, and thank you for your comments to me. I can honestly say that we are a mutual admiration society of two.

    dannyd, I'm on my way to read your blog.

    And, the last time I heard someone say: homonym, I accused him of being drunk and disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. plainolebob: I understand your frustration completely - utilities offer poor service, and don't care that it is poor. And seldom are we afforded an alternative. Do not trust in technology, that's for sure.

    Bruce Coltin: Hopefully our society of two will grow in time, huh! And yes; seldom does "homonym" come up in conversation these days - why is that? hahaha!

    Be well, all. I'll have more soon.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this post yet, but I've read your very first post and am going through the comments of it right now. Your blog and opinions leave me with so much to say, but not enough time to say it and not enough linguistic skills to get my point accross without offending. The subjects you touch on are no doubt sensitive, and I can see how some could be very immature very fast with their opnions.

    As soon as I finish reading all your posts, I'll come back with a comment more relevent (;

    ReplyDelete
  10. timesurge:

    I look forward to your input - everyone's opinion is welcome. Mine is not exclusive, and you're free to disagree, if you are so inclined. Either way, welcome.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually have a few things to say/ask. Just out of curiousity, you said you've been trying to break free of comfort zones completely your whole life, and I see that (or at least I think) that not much is restricted to your "comfort zone", but what still is? As in what situations/places still makes you uncomfortable?

    Secondly in one of your comments you said Obama would not have been a first choice, although you voted for him. Why would he not have been your first choice, just out of curiousity

    The few things left I have to say are just kind of my thoughts in general. I'm at a point where, I think it may just be because I'm younger (I hope), that anything politcal or about the government never ceases to confuse me. I kind of just don't get it, and when I try to saw anything about it I sound really misinformed or even kind of stupid. When I'm having a conversation about anything like that with anyone, I just say "I don't care" or something along those lines because I can't comprehend the information they're trying to relay to me. Overall, I'm just really frustrated. It might be that I live in Canada but I highly doubt it. I am willing to learn and expand my mind in that matter, but I find it really hard and often poisonisous or tainting with how corrupt everything is. Dangerous, even, to learn about the government in fear of seeing something I don't want to see. Like ignorance is bliss, when it really isn't. This is a double edged sword and it's really bothering me

    Lastly.. if there are so many of us wanting to make a change, so many good-hearted and headed people, I don't see why we can't do it. I think fear would be a very high playing factor, I am very much afraid of knowledge that might "poison" people's minds. Like seeing terrible things they can't erase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Surge: Well, you give me much to consider. Let's see where this takes us...

    First: With all of the medical problems that are occurring to me as my diseases progress, I become concerned about being away from where I know I can seek medical help if needed. Going deep into the woods, or far away from society as a general rule, scares me. Additionally, though I have no fear of flying or being in tall buildings, being far up and exposed to the elements (on an outcropping of a high cliff face, as an example) scare me. With no structural support, heights concern me greatly.

    Second: though I knew that this was a time in history for a liberal to enact the needed changes, I felt that congressman Dennis Kucinich was the better person for the job. President Obama is fine, I just had a preference. I felt Mr. Kucinich had his mind closer to my own at the time of the election.

    Don't feel bad if you're confused by politics; I myself was confused for many years. It IS complicated, but in time you'll gather the needed data to understand. Don't give up, and don't stop caring. Your form and manner of government, or rule, determine many important aspects of your life and your future. Ask; I will not judge.

    Lastly: Fear is indeed a factor in many people's decisions, on both sides of the table, as is hope. But in a democratic society, eventually, the people's will supersedes all else. Be well, thanks for following, and hope this helps you in your quest to learn.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like your style John. After 71 years I realize that this country has many problems, they didn't just appear yesterday ,eight years ago on & On so we can not fix it overnite. As bad as we some times see ourselves I nan not think of another country that comes anywhere close to what we have. But, together lets get to improving it & keep an open mind!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wondering how you're doing, if you're okay, John.. my prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Still wondering
    Lots of love,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete